Thursday, December 29, 2005

Not Feelin' the Love

It has been over 10 years since I have lived in my hometown of Lowville, NY. I haven’t lived near family since that time. Both of my parents live there, and now so does my older brother and his family (including his wife and two children, ages 8 and 5). And my older sister lives in Boston with her family (including her husband and two children, ages 5 and 18 months), but they were visiting over the Christmas holiday too, so we were all together.

While my niece and nephews know their Aunt Marsha, they don’t know me overly well. I see them one to two times per year most typically, and I talk to them intermittently in between. I write all of this as background to a funny story…

So I am eating dinner with my father and my brother’s family tonight. The kids are done and have gone in to finish watching the Peter Pan video that Santa brought one of them for Christmas. Out of the blue, my 8 year old nephew, Stefan, leaves the video while it is playing (you have to understand that this NEVER happens) and comes into the dining room again. He looks at me and asks, “Aunt Marsha, are you married?” I laughed and said something to indicate that I am not and didn’t he think he would have met my husband if I were? He laughed, too. I said I would make sure he is one of the first to meet my husband after I find him. He laughed again and said, “I betcha he’ll be really goofy, just like you.” I think he was setting me up for that all along. That kid is smart.

Later, I walked into one again. He looks at me and says, “You look like a teenager.” As a 32 year old woman who is beginning to feel my age set in, I was pretty flattered. But it didn’t last long. As we were playing Power Rangers pinball (and I was beating his high score after he made some snide comment about how he would take it easy on me because of the fact that I am a girl) he then said with a devilish smile, “It’s probably hard to see those pinball lights with your old lady eyes.”

I can’t wait to have some sweet little ones just like these!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can relate. my cousin, who's in 7th grade, was watching my brother and his wife interacting with my uncle (his dad), and my cousin asked me, 'so do you think you'll ever get married?' i said, 'yeah, eventually.' then he got this surprised look on his face. 'most people say they'll never get married.' don't know who 'most people' includes, but it was an interesting conversation. the sort you have with a 12 or 13 year old boy. :)

stinkowoman said...

Old lady eyes. Nice.