Monday, January 02, 2006

Fear Not

So…2005. You and I had a bit of a love-hate relationship, didn’t we? You were a year that brought a lot of things - new friends who have helped me to rediscover sides of myself that I had almost lost; healing through buried hurts; and heartbreak and painful experiences that showed me where true freedom, hope, and joy come from, to a name a few big ones. But as I look back, all of these seem tied to one underlying development. 2005 was a year where I decided to confront fear.

I have lived in fear for most of my 32 years, and it has been this year that has helped me to see it clearly for the first time. It has been this year that has brought me to a place of confronting it for the first time. And it has been this year that has led me to see how much fear has been holding me back from amazing experiences.

And through all of this, I have learned one thing that I know for sure – fear sucks. And I am not going to accept it anymore. I am not going to let it dictate my life.

As I look to my future, there is a lot I could be scared of. Frankly, some of it may happen. Some of it may even be probable based on the circumstances that confront me. But God is a God of the impossible, and so I see now that circumstances are not the whole story. In 2005, God showed me that the impossible can, in fact, become reality if I trust in him.

So I ask myself, “what if I put myself out there and take the chances that are right in front of me? What if I take the risk?” Yes, my worst fears could happen. They could. But, alternatively, my wildest dreams could come true. My deepest hopes could be fulfilled.

I have wasted enough time. I have allowed myself to enter a life of boredom and white-knuckled security that left no room for adventure. And that is no life. From now on, I choose adventure.

I am shooting for my wildest dreams. Care to join me?

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1:7

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course we will join you, adventure sounds great!

sheplaysamartin said...

i kinda feel like God's trying to change my dreams. not that my wildest dreams aren't in the cards, but that it may be a while before they're fulfilled, and things (things yet somewhat unknown and blurry) i haven't been dreaming of may be a more current reality. it sucks. i don't know what to do with that. (sorry for the melancholy comment.) could use some prayer for this when you think of it...

best hopes for the pursuit of your dreams! sounds great...

stinkowoman said...

Sure! Does this mean you're chucking it all and moving to California? Only crazy people trying to conquer their fears would attempt that...

Anonymous said...

Lori - No. No Cali for me. And no other city for that matter.I already chucked it all four times in my life to move to different cities. Been there, done that. I think conquering my fears now actually means staying put and dealing with the difficulties I face, even though I have been wanting to run away recently.