Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Shopgirl's Choice

They say good things come in three's. Reading Courtney and Candyce's commentary on the recent GNO (aka Girls' Night Out) outing to see Shopgirl, a movie based on the novella by Steve Martin, has inspired me to post something I wrote while reflecting on the movie and life this weekend. So this one goes out to my fellow GNOers...boop boop.

I’m not a (shop) girl
I’m a woman

I know who I am
And I know my heart
The desires it hides
The feelings it holds

Something real
Something beautiful
Sometimes painful
Always patient

I gaze at a life that awakened me
Only glancing to other possibilities
Settling for the hope of love
But longing for love’s assurance

I face hurt now or hurt later
A choice that is hardly a choice
Yet it confronts my soul
It is mine to make

It was a beautiful dream
But it was only a dream
Reality sings a different melody
And I will soon have to listen

Is it time for the dream to die?
Strength may mean staying here
Or strength may mean moving on
To the hope of a new dream ahead

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great poem... bittersweet excellence... turns out shopgirl was the right choice for 'gno' after all. :)

Anonymous said...

very beautifully sad. you write well. Sometimes waiting for love sucks, right? be careful what you ask for, you might have it! is what i am learning in my season.

Anonymous said...

boop boop? that was something i noticed after i first commented on this post. it kinda tickles... :)

Anonymous said...

I hope your dream isn't dead if it came from God. It's very hard t0 keep hope alive sometimes, but your hope might help not only yourself, but others.

We need light to shine in some of this present darkness don't we?

Anonymous said...

Yes, anonymous, I agree. This poem is partly about me and partly about the "shopgirl" heart portrayed in the film.

For me, I am praying that God keeps my hope alive and gives me renewed strength if the dream is indeed from Him. If it is not, I pray that it dies to make room for more of Him and His desires for me. Ultimately, nothing could be better than that.

The line between being a fool for God and being just plain foolish gets pretty blurry sometimes. I would be honored to be the former, but I sometimes wonder if I am the latter.

Lucid Magazine said...

Trust me, i know exactly what you mean. This morning I have been praying for forgiveness for being a fool. a plain fool this time, i will not drag God into it ;-)

That was why i asked you for a word a while ago
speaking of word, i got one for dvine. i will email you.