Monday, March 27, 2006

Fish, Dogs, and Fellowship

I have never owned a fish. Quite honestly, I just don’t get it. If a pet is for companionship, will someone please explain to me what anyone gets out of owning a fish? You can’t cuddle with them. You can’t really play with them. You can’t talk to them and have them look up at you attentively as if they understand when you know deep down that they don’t. You can basically just watch them. And I will acknowledge that some fish are beautiful, but your garden variety fish tank fish isn’t all that attractive if you ask me. So, what is it?

Dogs I do get. I have always wanted a dog, but I have never had the lifestyle to be able to take care of one on my own. I have always vowed I would get one when I get married and have kids. But it won’t be a little, yippie dog. No - it’s a big majestic dog for me, all the way. And for now, while I wait to finally become the dog person that lurks beneath the surface of my soul, I remain a single woman with two cats. But that is another post altogether. (Disclaimer: I love my cats very much, but I will never be seen wearing cat clothing, knowingly having cat hair all over me, or joining any cat clubs – e.g., I am not the “cat lady”). Maybe the reason one of my cats is so incredibly fat is because I subconsciously want to feed it until it becomes the size of one of the dogs I long for. She is pretty fat…

Now to the purpose of this post. So there is this woman who volunteers where I work. Her sole purpose in this setting is to clean out the fish tank. She diligently comes in every week and does this job, free of charge. She also does it for other tanks throughout the hospital as far as I understand.

This woman fascinates me. She is single, and she has about 10 dogs at home. I know this because that is the only topic I have ever heard her talk about – her dogs. She has posted a picture of herself and her 10 dogs on our fish tank. And I wonder, what is going on with this woman?

Part of me feels sorry for her. Does she have friends? Is this the only way she relates to people, much like the Star Trek fanatics that find community and fellowship through their common interest in all things Star Trek. If so, I find this sad. But why do I find this so sad? Here is a person that is relating to people around a common interest. Don’t I do the same thing? Don’t I gravitate toward people who can relate to what I relate to and who can talk intelligently about things that interest me? Why am I judging this woman as if she is so different in that basic desire? I have no idea. My way of expressing all of this may be more culturally and socially acceptable than hers, but it is still the same basic desire driving it.

So fish, dogs, Star Trek…who cares? I say here’s to anyone who is out there doing the things she or he loves and connecting with others through it. We were made to be relational creatures. The individuality in how that is expressed creates a human diversity that is rather beautiful. I am going to try to embrace and cherish that beauty.

4 comments:

sheplaysamartin said...

this has nothing to do with your post, but i'm glad you're back... :)

as far as the dog lady goes, i think it's more than the fact that her dogs are such a huge priority for her that make it a little sad. i actually had a similar experience talking to a musician (remember, i am a musician) who talked about music all the time, and rarely talked about anything else. as much as i like music, i got a little bored with our conversations. there's something to well-roundedness and having a diverse set of interests.

but yes, yay for connecting through common interests... i'm glad we connect. :)

Lucid Magazine said...

Sigh, as a life long fish lover, how do i begin to explain this. Maybe fish oweners are essentially vouristic in nautre; we like watch. but fish are so calming, so peaceful, and you have their entire habitat contained in a space you can observe and help create. i have HUGE tank and i love it love it love it. And anyone who comes visiting is transfixed as well. I do LOVE dogs and cats but fish are low maintainance of them all. Plus i always have people to "cuddle with/really play with/talk to/have them look up at you attentively as if they understand when you know deep down that they don’t."

i have people for all that, especially the last part!

thanks for saying hi on myspace. i am hardly there, so i thought this would be a better place to holler back!

Lucid Magazine said...

pls delete the above non-spell checked comment.

Sigh, as a life long fish lover, how do I begin to explain this. Maybe fish owners are essentially voyeuristic in nature; we like watch. but fish are so calming, so peaceful, and you have their entire habitat contained in a space you can observe and help create. I have HUGE tank and I love it love it love it. And anyone who comes visiting is transfixed as well. I do LOVE dogs and cats but fish are low maintenance of them all. Plus I always have people to "cuddle with/really play with/talk to/have them look up at you attentively as if they understand when you know deep down that they don’t."

I have people for all that, especially the last part!

thanks for saying hi on myspace. I am hardly there, so I thought this would be a better place to holler back!

agirloutthere said...

To late, Virgil! I saw the misspelled version! Muuah-ha-ha-ha!

So "Strange,"
Now that you are fully up to speed with the technology, are you going to become a one a day blog poster? :-p