Monday, February 27, 2006

Occupational Hazards

I've been increasingly realizing lately that my occupation is creating some real problems for me. Probably the biggest is that it is very draining because of the long hours, but lots of people can say that, so I won't focus on that one.

A more specific occupational hazard that I really don't like is that, because as a psychologist I have to really listen to people throughout most of my day everyday, my desire to listen is dwindling. I know how to listen and reflect. I know how to hear things people are saying but not saying. I know how to hear hidden questions. But you get kinda drained by it after a while. And you get lazy. You kind of half listen, because you are good enough at it that you can still get by on 50% or less.

I have been accepting this as OK and understandable, but really this is not good at all. I mean, one of the ways we can really touch people, get to know people, and bring people to a greater understanding of life and faith is through listening to them. What are they stuggling with? What are they wondering about? How have they been misled or hurt by faith-based or religious experiences in the past?

I can't really touch people where they are if I am tuned out. And I really can't do it if the volume on my own struggles and life pursuits is turned up too loud like it has been. There needs to be more balance, but balance has never been my strong point.

I need to find a way to use the skills God has given me not only at work but in life. I believe it is part of what I was created to do. Ultimately it is about letting God fill me the way He wants to so I can use my gifts more fully without finding myself on empty. Otherwise, I will just stay stuck in my occupational hazard.

So, what are your occupational hazards?

4 comments:

sheplaysamartin said...

what are my occupational hazards? great question... i can think of a couple... i'll second the draining aspect that so many people can talk about. other than that, i think one of the biggest for me is that i've been accustomed to a bit of self-protection, trying my best to maintain a good front at work, to the point of not feeling comfortable being real about where i need help or about my goals. having 40 hours/week to not feel like i can fully be myself and bring all of me to the table is kind of tough. i don't know that this is specific to my current job, but it's definitely something i've encountered. another is more specific--that working for a christian organization doesn't always help me appreciate the body of Christ more (with all its quirks), and is a major factor in me not spending much time with people who aren't christians.

if you tune out when you listen to people, you sure do a good job at faking. :) and sometimes it helps just to think someone's listening. don't beat yourself up over that...

agirloutthere said...

My occupational hazard: very little compassion.

Aaron said...

So what I hear you saying is...

uh huh. hmmm....

and how did that make you feel?

It would be interesting to know how well you listen compared to the rest of the untrained world (at least those who haven't had the benefit of that small group leader reflective listening module.)

MIne would have to be the ever looming possibility of a caffeine overdose, followed by getting fat (somewhere in the range of 20-30 pounds since I made this career change 4 years ago). But the real one is always going to be the boundaries - it's really hard to "clock out" when there is no clock and your job is so intertwined with your faith, your identity and your close relationships.

Lucid Magazine said...

those are all good ones guys, especialyl aaron. that can be hard!

hmm, for me, what is the occupational hazard of being unemployed?! lol. maybe too much time by myself and loving it ;-)

but really, when i worked, it was taking care of people's problems.