Tuesday, February 07, 2006

What?!

OK, so today was destined to suck. I don’t usually start days thinking this, but this one just was. And it still is. Too many mistakes to correct, too many technology snafoos to sidestep, and just plain too much to do. So I am taking this, my coveted 15 minute lunch break, to share something hilarious that helped keep me going today.

I was interviewing a mother this morning who is what we in the business call "hypomanic" – in laymen’s terms, very high energy and hard to contain. There I am, innocently and professionally trying to work around this and get the information I need, but she continues to interrupt me to share additional information of variable relevance. Anyway, at one point, she interrupts me and says, “What the f*** should I call you anyway? Marsha? Doctor? Queen?” I said Queen would be fine.

So I manage to get through that without laughing, but then she comes at me with another one. I was trying to schedule her next appointment but mentioned to her that I couldn’t get on [my gestures and the context of the situation clearly implied that I meant I couldn’t get onto our computer scheduling system]. So she says, “Well, I sure hope you can get off.” I will just clarify that she was absolutely not referring to the computer.

What?! Talk about poor filter activation. You would think some of my more recent friendships would have prepared me against saying something that sets me up for a perverted retort like this one, but I guess my guard was down.

Hilarious day…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marsha -- that is absolutely hilarious. I am soooo thankful that we weren't seeing her together.

sheplaysamartin said...

lol, thanks so much for sharing that... :)

Kalla said...

Is that a Dane Cook What!??

agirloutthere said...

Wish I had been there with you at lunch to laugh, instead of choking on the U's cafeteria food.

Anonymous said...

Glad you appreciated it, ladies. Courtney - sorry I missed your message about lunch. I was at my other office today and didn't get the message until too late.

Aaron said...

"more recent friendships".... c'mon Marsha we've known each other for going on 4 years...

Marsha said...

Yes, but I have only known this side of you for a little over a year...

stinkowoman said...

Ah, the filterless. And I had hoped they grew out of that after 9th grade....

agirloutthere said...

Candy heart link fixed!