Monday, July 30, 2007

Neighborhood Updates

Now that you know and love Lou and Bernice, I thought I would share the latest:

1. In the last week, I have seen two deer running down (repeat...down, not across) Columbia Parkway, stopping traffic in both directions. I have also seen deer walking down the sidewalk (repeat...down the sidewalk) of my street. It is like they are following me around, pleading to me with their eyes to save them from Lou. I am haunted by deer.

2. The people at the very end of my street are growing corn. Not just a garden. Corn. There are huge stalks of corn growing there. And they aren't growing in their backyard or even their sideyard. They are growing in the grassy area between the street and the sidewalk (is that called an easement?). I seriously love this street. The laughs never, ever stop. Add to all this a certain house around the corner that houses a rooster which greets me in the morning, and you would scarcely believe I live in the city.

3. Bernice got a new dog this weekend. It is a 4 year old Pomeranian that she got from the pound. His name is Barney, and he is adorable. He seems to like me, but I think that is because I was petting him after I had just gone for a run, and he enjoyed licking the salt off of my skin. But I am not proud. I will win him over however I can. And I can see that Bernice is very, very happy. I am happy for her.

4. I met a neighbor from the apartments across the street when I went over to talk to Bernice and Barney. She is really nice and mentioned that her friend wants to be a child psychologist. Um...I think that was a gimme for making a connection, so I invited her and her friend over to barbecue sometime so that her friend can pick my brain and I can make more connections with neighbors. Anyone else wanna come? (Note - this WILL NOT be my next pie party, which incidentally will involve an amazing peach and creme fraiche concoction ala Martha Steward via Emily Pradera, so don't think you can get in the backdoor on this one).

5. Late breaking news - Bernice told me that a young, male architect bought one of the houses on my street. This could be promising. Maybe I will push up the timeline on that design work I want to do in my basement. Well, either that or reconsider the hot tub fund. Hmm...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

An architect? Well he isn't a contractor, but still useful I suppose.

BBQ? Let me know when (I know where)!

sheplaysamartin said...

is the young, male architect single?

that would sound promising. ;)

Liz said...

How young is this architect? All of a sudden your street sounds very exciting to me...

Steve Fuller said...

Ok, so Marsha wrote a very long, very descriptive essay with five distinct points. So far, three women have commented, and all three have focused on the brief mention of a man with a job (who may or may not be single, and who may or may not be attractive) moving into the neighborhood.

And people say men have a one-track mind? Yikes.

Marsha said...

1. Bernice did tell me that the architect is single. I forgot to include that point.

2. I don't know what he looks like, but I am hopeful he is the good-looking 20-30s man I spotted on my street not long ago.

3. I agree that it is interesting that everyone jumped in only on the last point, though, in fairness, Courtney accepted an invite to the BBQ.

4. Apparently we don't know many men with actual jobs. That sounds like a whole other essay. :)

5. Cougars rule

Liz said...

Cougar,

You are mistaken. Kittens Rule. Meow. :-)